Past Higher Degree Research Projects
Our Graduates have completed the following research:
- Mike Armour - The use and effectiveness of acupuncture in the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea: A mixed methods study. Supervisor: Prof. Caroline Smith; Co-supervisors: Prof. Hannah Dahlen, Dr Xiaoshu Zhu, and Prof. Cindy Farquhar.
- Susan Arentz - Investigation into the role of naturopathic medicine in the management of women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Supervisor: Prof. Caroline Smith; Co-supervisors: Prof. Alan Bensoussan and A/Prof.
- Kate Levett - Utilisation of complementary medicine techniques to reduce usage of pharmacological pain relief during labour and childbirth. Supervisor: Prof. Caroline Smith; Co-supervisors: Prof. Alan Bensoussan and Prof. Hannah Dahlen.
- James Hennell - Quality control methods for herbal medicine: a multifaceted approach. Supervisor: Dr Cheang Khoo; Co-supervisors: Prof. Nikolaus Sucher and Prof. Gerald Muench.
- Chris McKeon - Electroacupuncture for chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting. Supervisor: Prof. Caroline Smith; Co-supervisors: Prof. Esther Chang and Prof. Janet Hardy.
- Sue Cochrane - The effect of acupuncture on reproductive health. A three part clinical trial, 1: Building consensus for a fertility acupuncture protocol; 2: randomised controlled trial and 3: patient experience of acupuncture and infertility. Supervisor:
Prof. Caroline Smith; Co-supervisors: Prof. Alan Bensoussan and Dr Alphia Possamai-Inesedy.
- Suzanne Grant - The effectiveness of a Chinese herbal formula, Jiangtang Xiaozhi, for the treatment of impaired glucose tolerance and insulin resistance in persons with prediabetes. Supervisor: A/Prof. Dennis Chang; Co-supervisor: Prof. Alan Bensoussan.
- Paul Stevenson - Designing new chromatographic stationary phases using a multifaceted approach incorporating molecular modelling and classical chromatographic measures. Supervisor: A/Prof. Andrew Shalliker; Co-supervisors: Dr Gary Dennis and Dr
- Parisa Younessi - The role of protein arginine methylation and glycation in aging. Supervisor: Prof. Nikolaus Sucher; Co-supervisors: Carl Parsons, Irena Dedova, and Sabine Piller.
- Samiuela Lee - Analysis of bioactive components of complex herbal mixtures. Supervisor: Dr. Cheang Khoo; Co-supervisors: Prof. Alan Bensoussan.
- Kate Pumpa - Complementary and alternative medicine use among elite Australian athletes and the efficacy of selected complementary and alternative medicines in the prevention and treatment of delayed onset muscle soreness and muscle damage in well trained males. Supervisor:
Dr Shona Papalia; Co-supervisors: Prof. Alan Bensoussan and Dr Kieran Fallon (Australian Institute of Sport).
- Junguang Liu - A randomised placebo-controlled clinical trial to study the therapeutic effectiveness of a Chinese Herbal Medicine formula used for the treatment of Vascular Dementia. Supervisor: Dr Dennis Chang; Co-supervisors: Prof. Alan Bensoussan and
Prof. Daniel Chan (University of New South Wales).
- Corinne Patching - Complementary and alternative medicine and the menopausal transition: with special emphasis on Chinese medicine and vasomotor symptoms. Supervisor: Prof. Alan Bensoussan; Co-supervisors: Dr Liwan Liyanage and Dr Smita Shah (University
- Xiaoshu Zhu - Chinese herbal medicine for primary dysmenorrhoea. Supervisor: Prof. Alan Bensoussan; Co-supervisors: Prof. Felix Wong and Prof. JinYu (Fu Dan University, China).
- Shalona Anuj - The extraction, isolation and identification of the chemical biomarkers in a complex formulation for the treatment of endometriosis by LC-MS-MS and other spectroscopic methods. Supervisor: Dr Cheang Khoo; Co-supervisors: Prof. Alan Bensoussan
and Dr Sundar Rao Koyyalamudi.
- Alex Liew - Evaluation of the treatment of endometriosis with Chinese herbal medicine. Supervisor: Prof. Alan Bensoussan; Co-supervisors: Dr Marc Keirse (Flinders University).
- Nerida Klupp - Ganoderma Lucidum for treatment of metabolic syndrome. Supervisor: A/Prof. Dennis Chang; Co-supervisors: Prof. Alan Bensoussan and Prof. Hosen Kiat.
- Franklin Lamin - Uptake of secondary metabolites with medicinal properties from Polygonum cuspidatum into yeast cells. Supervisor: Dr Cheang Khoo; Co-supervisors: Dr Sundar Koyyalamudi and Dr Sam Lee.
- Debra Betts - The role of acupuncture with the management of threatened miscarriage. Supervisor: Prof. Caroline Smith; Co-Supervisor: Prof. Hannah Dahlen.
- Mariam Jarouche - A study of the variation in the chemical profile of Qi Ju Huang Wan in the marketplace. Supervisor: Prof. Alan Bensoussan; Co-Supervisor: Dr. Cheang Khoo.
- John Truong - Quality control of traditional Chinese medicine products. Supervisor: Dr. Cheang Khoo.