NICM Adjunct Professor
Dr Liu is a Professor at the Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, where he is head of the Evidence-Based Chinese Medicine Center for Clinical Research and Evaluation and Professor in Clinical Epidemiology. He is also a visiting professor at the University of Tromso. He was awarded the "Chang Jiang Scholar" by the Ministry of Education of China (2006)
His professional roles include:
* Advisor, WHO-WPRO Traditional Medicine (2005-)
* Member of International Society of Chinese Medicine (ISCM), Macau (2005-)
* Member of Board of Directors, International Society of CAM Research (ISCMR), (2011-)
* Member of the Advisory Board of the NHS Priority Project on Complementary Medicine, UK (2003-2005)
* Member of the Advisory Board of the Cochrane Complementary Medicine Field, USA (2004-)
* Member of the Australasian Epidemiological Association, Australia (1999-2002)
* Commissioner of Chinese Clinical Epidemiology Institute (2006-)
* Chairman of EBM Specialty Committee under the Chinese Association of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine (2011-)
* Member of Chinese Medical Association
* Member of Chinese Association of Preventive Medicine
As well as being an editor and peer reviewer for several academic journals.
His research interests include systematic review and clinical trials on traditional Chinese medicine in infectious diseases, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, irritable bowel syndrome, as well as research methodology of clinical trials.
Areas of Research
Active members in The Cochrane Collaboration as systematic reviewer, trainer, and one of the pioneers in China to disseminate evidence-based medicine and clinical research methodology, widely involved in researches in infectious diseases, epidemiology, traditional Chinese medicine; expertise in Chinese Medicine, Evidence-Based Medicine, and clinical research methodology. He has been awarded for more than 15 research grants from NIH of the US, Danish Research Council, DFID from UK, Health Directorate from Norway, Chinese government (the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, Ministry of Education of China), and the university in the fields of Cochrane systematic reviews on infectious diseases, e.g., hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS, SARS, other viral diseases, as well as chronic diseases.
Prior to March 2012, he has published 340 research papers in both international and Chinese peer reviewed journals including more than 30 Cochrane systematic reviews in The Cochrane Library in the area of traditional Chinese medicine and conventional medicine. Dr Liu authored 8 books and co-authored 9 books.