Adjunct Associate Professor, NICM Health Research Institute
Dr Michael Dodson is Medical Director at Blackmores Institute and joins NICM as an Adjunct Associate Professor. He is a medical graduate of the University of Melbourne and has completed a PhD and masters degrees in public health and health management. Michael has extensive experience in the regulation and evaluation of complementary and non-prescription medicines. He has been influential in the development of National policy around complementary medicines regulation and has represented Australia at a International Regulatory and World Health Organization fora. Michael has also been an important contributor to the development of medical schools at Deakin University and the University of Notre Dame.
- Complementary and non-prescription medicines regulation
- Assessment of the efficacy and safety of complementary medicines
- Clinical trial design and implementation
- Medical education and medical student selection
Previous appointments include:
- Associate Dean, Melbourne Clinical School, Australia
- Senior Medical Adviser, Therapeutic Goods Administration, ACT, Australia
- Head of Office of Non-Prescription Medicines, Therapeutic Goods Administration, ACT, Australia
- Medical Advisor, Complementary and Non-Prescription Medicines, Therapeutic Goods Administration, ACT, Australia
- 2009 Member of the National N1H1 Swine-flu Pandemic Taskforce, Canberra.
- 2010 Australian Delegate and rapporteur: World health Organization (Western Pacific region) Intercountry Consultation on the Regional Strategy for Traditional Medicines in the Western Pacific 2011-2020, Daejon, South Korea.
- 2012 Australian Delegate: WHO Regional Strategy for traditional Medicines in the Western Pacific Worshop, Hong Kong.
- 2013-2014 Member of Victorian Medical Education Planning Group and Victorian council of Health Deans.
- 2014 Member of the Advisory Committee on Non-Prescription Medicines.