CONNECT | LINKEDIN(opens in a new window)
AM, MBBS, FACNEM, FASLM, Awarded Honorary Fellowship of the RACGP
Adjunct Associate Professor, NICM Health Research Institute
Research Committee Member, NICM Health Research Institute
Associate Professor Vicki Kotsirilos AM is a respected general practitioner with over 30 years of clinical experience at the Dunstan Dental and Medical Clinic(opens in a new window) in Melbourne. She integrates evidence-based holistic therapies such as acupuncture, nutritional and herbal medicine with mainstream healthcare.
Associate Professor Kotsirilos keeps up to date with the research in these areas culminating in the development of the successful textbook A guide to evidence-based integrative and complementary medicine (Elsevier). She is also a regular writer for Medical Observer, publishing a monthly column on evidence-based Integrative Medicine and circulates research updates for Australian doctors.
Associate Professor Kotsirilos holds adjunct associate professorial positions with NICM and La Trobe University's, Department of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, Faculty of Health Sciences, and formerly with Monash University.
She was the founding Chair of the RACGP (opens in a new window) Integrative Medicine Working group, as well as the founder and Founding Past President of the Australasian Integrative Medicine Association (AIMA).
Associate Professor Kotsirilos served as an active board member on AIMA for 20 years, forging positive relations with Government and peak medical bodies such as the AMA and RACGP.
She has served on many state and federal government committees, such as the Therapeutic Goods Administration, Complementary Medicine Evaluation Committee (eight years), as the GP member on the Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee (five years), and an appointed member of the Australian Advisory Council on the Medicinal Use of Cannabis.
In addition, Associate Professor Kotsirilos served on the Victorian Council of the AMA and for several years worked closely with the Medical Panels, Victorian Workcover.
She continues to work for regulatory federal government bodies such as AHPRA.
Awards and recognition
- 2022 Appointed Member for the third tenure of the Australian Advisory Council on the Medicinal Use of Cannabis.
- 2017 Australia Day Environmental Award by Bayside City Council for recognising outstanding and long-term leadership, action, and advocacy for coastal and natural heritage protection in the City of Bayside, and generating community awareness of the value of our Bayside environment.
- 2016 Awarded a Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia for significant service to integrative medicine, to health practitioner standards and regulations, to medical education, and to the environment.
- 2014 Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine (ACNEM) Award in recognition of outstanding service in the field of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine.
- 2013 Honorary Fellowship Award by the RACGP.
- 2007 General Practice Excellence Award by AGPAL.
- Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine
- Australasian Integrative Medicine Association
- Australian Medical Acupuncture College
- Australian Society of Lifestyle Medicine
- Doctors of Environment Australia
- La Trobe University
- Monash University
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioner
- 2017 Fellowship, Australasian Society of Lifestyle Medicine, Australia
- 2013 Honorary Fellowship of the RACGP, Australia
- 1998 Diploma of Herbal Medicine (High Distinction), Southern Cross Herbal School, Australia
- 1997 Diploma of Hypnosis (High Distinction), Centre of Awareness, Australia
- Certificates in Solution Oriented Counseling, Melbourne, Australia
- 1996 Fellow, Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine, Australia
- 1993 Certificate of Family Medicine Program, RACGP, Australia
- 1992 Acupuncture Certificate, Australian Medical Acupuncture College via Victorian Faculty, RACGP, Australia
- 1989 Family Planning Certificate, Family Planning Association, Australia
- 1986 Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Monash University, Australia
For a full listing of publications please see: