Dr Cheema is interested in investigating the health benefits of yoga, meditation, and multi-disciplinary interventions and currently collaborates with colleagues in Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nutritional Sciences, Medicine, and Nursing and Midwifery. He joined Western Sydney University in 2009 as a Senior Lecturer of Sport and Exercise Science. His research to date has demonstrated the effectiveness of exercise training in chronically diseased and at-risk populations, including individuals with end-stage renal disease, breast cancer and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Nutritional Sciences
- Type 2 diabetes
Awards and recognition
- 2008 Best Sport and Exercise Science Research Article in a Peer-reviewed Journal, Awarded by Sport and Exercise Science New Zealand (SESNZ)
Projects and grants
Dr Cheema's research has been supported by numerous external funding agencies including NHMRC and local and international industry.
See a full list of past and current projects (opens in a new window).
- 2010-present Sports Medicine Australia
- 2009-present Exercise and Sport Science Australia
- 2006 PhD Exercise Physiology, The University of Sydney, Australia
- 2002 MSc Exercise Physiology University of Victoria, Canada
- 1999 BHK Exercise Science University of British Columbia, Canada
For a full listing of publications please see: