CONNECT | LINKEDIN (opens in a new window)
PhD, MSc, BSc
ARC Research Fellow, NICM Health Research Institute
Dr Bhuyan joined NICM Health Research Institute as an ARC Postdoctoral Research Fellow in 2018. In conjunction with Associate Professor Chun Guang Li, his research is aimed at understanding the complex synergistic interactions among various phytochemicals on specific biological targets and how these interactions can be applied as therapeutic strategies against different metabolic disorders.
He has a strong interest and background in investigating the anticancer and antimicrobial properties of plant extracts and bioactive compounds. Dr Bhuyan’s PhD research, highlighted the role of phenolic compounds and antioxidants from Australian eucalypts as anticancer agents for pancreatic malignancies. During his PhD, he also explored the possibilities of developing antimicrobial agents from Eucalyptus aqueous extracts used in the Australian Aboriginal Bush medicine.
Before coming to Australia, Dr Bhuyan worked as a Senior Research Fellow at the Assam Agricultural University on a National Agricultural Innovation Project funded by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
He has published several peer-reviewed research and review papers in the areas of natural products, anticancer and antimicrobial research. He was also actively involved in teaching microbiology at The University of Newcastle and a number of collaborative projects in Australia and India.
- Phytochemicals and antioxidants
- Synergistic mechanisms
- Anti-inflammatory activity
- Pancreatic cancer
- Anticancer activity
- Antimicrobial activity
Awards and recognitions
- 2016 Research Higher Degree Conference Scholarship, The University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2014 International Postgraduate Research Scholarship and Central Postgraduate Research Scholarship, The University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2011 Senior Research Fellowship, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Assam Agricultural University, Australia
- 2010 Merit Certificate and Merit Scholarship for the best academic performance for the academic year 2009-2010, VIT University, India
- 2009 Merit Certificate and Merit Scholarship for the best academic performance for the academic year 2008-2009, VIT University, India
- 2018 PhD in Food Science, The University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2010 Master of Science Applied Microbiology, VIT University, India
- 2008 Bachelor of Science Biotechnology, Bangalore University, India
For a full listing of publications please see: