X (opens in a new window)
PhD, BPsyc (Hons)
Research Support Program Fellow - Healthy Ageing: Healthy Brain Ageing and Dementia Prevention, NICM Health Research Institute
Dr Diana Karamacoska is a cognitive neuroscientist and was appointed in 2021 as a Research Support Program Fellow for Healthy Ageing at NICM Health Research Institute. She joined the institute in 2019 as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow and working in the area of dementia and prior to that had coordinated various clinical trials for mental health.
Her research aims to improve quality of life for older adults, particularly those affected by dementia, using interdisciplinary approaches that span lifestyle, medical, sociocultural, and environmental initiatives.
Dr Karamacoska coordinates one of Australia’s largest clinical trial for vascular dementia and supervises students on projects that seek to close the gap in dementia-related health outcomes, and research, with culturally diverse people and high-risk women.
She is an avid dementia advocate, helping to lead the transformation of Greater Western Sydney into a dementia-friendly region. Dr Karamacoska is passionate about connecting people with research opportunities, raising awareness for dementia risk reduction, and exploring strategies to improve quality of life and care.
- Cognitive neuroscience and functioning
- Brain health
- Lifestyle intervention
- Alternative therapy
Awards and recognitions
- 2021 Research Support Program Fellowship, Western Sydney University, Australia
- 2019 Best Student Oral Presentation Award, 29th Australasian Society for Psychophysiology Annual Conference
- 2016 Student Conference Travel Award, 26th Australasian Society for Psychophysiology Annual Conference
- 2016 Best Postgraduate Poster, 26th Australasian Society for Psychophysiology Annual Conference
- 2016 Higher Degree Research Travel Grant, University of Wollongong
- 2015 Research Training Program Scholarship, Department of Education and Training, Australian Government
- 2014 Student Conference Travel Award, 24th Australasian Society for Psychophysiology Annual Conference
- 2013 Best Honours Presentation Runner-Up, 24th Australasian Society for Psychophysiology Annual Conference
- 2013 Research Summer Scholarship, School of Psychology, University of Wollongong
- 2013 Best Honours Poster, 22nd Australasian Society for Psychophysiology Annual Conference
- 2019 PhD (Psychology) with Examiners’ Commendation for Outstanding Thesis, University of Wollongong, Australia
- 2014 BPsyc (Hons, Class 2.1), University of Wollongong, Australia
For a full listing of publications please see: