CONNECT | LINKEDIN (Opens in a new window)
Professor of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Western Sydney University
Gerald Muench started work at the University of Würzburg, Germany in 1995 and was then appointed Lecturer in the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in 1999. In 2000, he joined the Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research at the University of Leipzig. He left in 2004 to take up a position as Senior Lecturer at James Cook University in Townsville. In May 2008 Gerald was appointed as Associate Professor of Pharmacology in the School of Medicine at the University of Western Sydney, and he was promoted to Professor with effect from 1 January 2012.
His major project focus is on Alzheimer's disease with a special emphasis on oxidant and carbonyl stress, and he is also looking at brain inflammation as a major progression factor in Alzheimer's disease. He investigates the functional implications of glial activation on neuronal functions, particularly in relation to local inflammatory processes in Alzheimer's disease, and has highlighted the potential suitability of activated astrocytes and microglia as drug targets in Alzheimer's disease. He is also looking to discover and identify novel anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective compounds from traditional Chinese and Indian medicines as well as tropical rainforest plants.
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Genetics
- Cell Biology
Awards and recognition
- 2003 Rene Schubert Prize of the "German Society for Aging Research" (Dt. Gesellschaft für Alternsforschung)
- 1999 Best Biomedical Project in the Business Plan Competition of the Bavarian State Government & McKinsey for Northern Bavaria
- 1998 Senior Scientist Visiting Fellowship (Australian Academy of Science / DFG), Host: Prof. Robin Holliday, Division of Biomolecular Engineering, CSIRO; North Ryde, NSW
- 1997 Prize for Brain Research in Gerontology, Universität Witten-Herdecke, Germany
- 1996 University Prize of the "Jubilumsstiftung der Universität", University of Würzburg, Germany
- 1995 Stifterverband der dt. Wissenschaft (German Association of Private Foundations) Research Associate Fellowship
- 1993 DFG (German Research Council) Postdoctoral Fellowship (Garvan Institute, Sydney: Host: Professor J. Shine)
- 1991 University prize for the best PhD thesis of the faculty
Projects and grants
Professor Muench's research has been supported by numerous external funding agencies including NHMRC, state and federal government as well as local and international industry. Over the last five years he has attracted eight external research grants totalling $950,000.
See a full list of past and current projects (opens in a new window)
For a full listing of publications please see: