CONNECT | LINKEDIN (opens in a new window) | TWITTER (opens in a new window)
Deputy Director, NICM Health Research Institute
Executive Committee Member, NICM Health Research Institute
Professor of Integrative Mental Health, NICM Health Research Institute
Health Minds Research Program Lead, NICM Health Research Institute
Jerome Sarris is Professor of Integrative Mental Health and Deputy Director at NICM. He holds an NHMRC Clinical Research Fellowship. Moving from clinical practice as a Naturopath, Nutritionist, and Acupuncturist to academic work, he completed a doctorate at The University of Queensland in the field of psychiatry. Professor Sarris undertook his postdoctoral training at The University of Melbourne, Department of Psychiatry; The Centre for Human Psychopharmacology, Swinburne University of Technology; and The Depression Clinical and Research Program at Harvard Medical School (MGH). He has a particular interest in anxiety and mood disorder research pertaining to nutraceutical psychopharmacology, in complementary and integrative medicine, lifestyle medicine, and psychotropic plant medicine research.
Professor Sarris has 130 publications (first/second/senior author on 90 per cent of publications) with an H-Index of 32 (cited over 3,600 times), and has published in many eminent psychiatry journals including The American Journal of Psychiatry, Lancet Psychiatry, and World Psychiatry. He has been co-awarded over $7 million dollars in research grants and funding, including three recent NHMRC Project Grants as Chief Investigator A.
- Evidence-based use of nutraceuticals and lifestyle modifications in the treatment of psychiatric disorders, specifically mood and anxiety disorders
- Adjunctive Pharmacotherapies
- Integrative Models
- Lifestyle Medicine
- Nutraceutical Psychopharmacology
- Clinical trials and evidence based practice
Awards and recognitions
- Honorary Principal Research Fellow, The University of Melbourne, Department of Psychiatry
- ARCADIA Nutraceutical and Lifestyle Medicine Research Group Head (Honorary position)
- The International Network of Integrative Mental Health (INIMH) Board Member (a founding Vice-Chair)
- International Society for Nutritional Psychiatry Research (ISNPR) Executive Committee member
- American Botanical Council Board Member
- Research Committee Deputy Chair and Research Subcommittee Chair(Department of Psychiatry; University of Melbourne)
- Group of Eight Future Research Leaders Program
- NHMRC grants, Beyond Blue, Swiss National Science Foundation, grant reviewer
- TGA contributor to GP clinical guidelines on depression treatment (evidence-based CAMs)
- Ethics committee member Endeavour College of Natural Health
- Assisted TGA Kava policy direction
- University of Melbourne, Department of Psychiatry "Cato Chair Champion"
- Section Editor (Mental Health) for Advances in Integrative Medicine (Elsevier)
- NHMRC Research Translation Faculty Member 2012-
- NHAA Distinguished Contribution to Research Award 2014
- ANS Dr Tini Gruner Naturopathic Educator of the Year Award 2016
Projects and grants
Professor Sarris has been collaboratively awarded over $7 million dollars in personal and study grants, including being CIA on three multicentre NHMRC Project Grants.
See a full list of past and current projects (opens in a new window).
- 2009 PhD (Field of Psychiatry), The University of Queensland
- 2008 Master of Health Science (Plant Medicine), University of New England
- 2004 Bachelor of Health Science (Western Herbal Medicine), Australian College of Natural Medicine
- 2003 Advanced Diploma of Acupuncture, Australian College of Natural Medicine
- 2002 Advanced Diploma Naturopathy, Australian College of Natural Medicine
- 2002 Diploma of Nutrition, Australian College of Natural Medicine
- 2001 Diploma of Herbal Medicine, Australian College of Natural Medicine
For a full listing of publications please see: