CONNECT | LINKEDIN (opens in a new window)
PhD (Health), MMed, BMed
Associate Professor Zhu is Director of Academic Program and Senior Lecturer of the Chinese Medicine Program in School of Science and Health at Western Sydney University. She is also inaugural Practitioner Member of the Chinese Medicine Board of Australia and she serves as Working Editor for the Cochrane Menstrual Disorders and Subfertility Group, the Cochrane Collaboration.
Associate Professor Zhu has a very strong academic background in Chinese medicine tertiary education. Prior to joining Western Sydney University, she was Associate Professor at Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China. In 1999, Associate Professor Zhu made the successful transition to Western Sydney University pursuing her new academic life in Australia. As key founding member, she has made significant contribution to the growth of the Chinese Medicine Program at Western Sydney University. Associate Professor Zhu has worked in teaching, research and clinical practice in a few counties including China, Malaysia, New Zealand and Australia.
Associate Professor Zhu has built up a strong research profile and expertise over the years in the field of clinical research and systematic reviews. Her particular research interests are in the field of cancer care and women's health. She has a proven track record including research publications in high-level journals, receiving international and national awards, as well as attracting international research grants. Associate Professor Zhu enjoys working with colleagues through international collaborative projects, she has established an extensive research network in the field. She supervises higher degree research students in health and biomedical science.
Awards and recognition
- 2009 Dr Bernard Lake Award, the Annual Prize for a Cochrane review on Chinese Herbal Medicine for Primary Dysmenorrhea as a publication in the field of complementary medicine, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, Australia
- 2008 Award for the Best Research Paper, AACMA Annual Conference, Sydney, Australia
- 2001 Cochrane Complementary and Alternative Medicine Field Bursary for a Cochrane review on Chinese Herbal Medicine for Menopausal Symptoms
- 2000 Asia 2000 Foundation, Higher Education Exchange Program, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- 1999 Dean's Award for New Employee of the Year, Faculty of Health, Western Sydney University, Australia
Projects and grants
Associate Professor Zhu's research has been supported by numerous external funding agencies including government and international industry.
See a list of past and current projects.(opens in a new window).
Associate Professor Zhu serves as external academic monitor at Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand and University Tunku Abdul Rahman, Malaysia. She works collaboratively with researchers and academic from many prestigious institutions including Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School USA, Beijing Cancer Hospital, Beijing Guangan'men Hospital, Beijing Xiyuan Hospital, Shanghai Longhua Hospital, Tufts University USA, Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China. She has several editor and reviewer roles with international journals.
- 2007 PhD (Health), University of Western Sydney, Australia
- 1989 MMed, Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China
- 1984 BMed, Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China
For a full listing of publications please see: