Over the last four months NICM’s world-class research has featured in leading national and international media outlets. Several highlights are included below.
- Professor Jerome Sarris’ NHMRC clinical trial underway investigating whether the use of an amino acid supplement is an effective treatment to relieve Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) symptoms recently received significant coverage across broadcast, print and online. Media outlets included: Channel 7’s Today Tonight, 7News, The Daily Telegraph, Geelong Advertiser, The Courier Mail, NT News, Gold Coast Bulletin, The Advertiser and Cairns Post. Dedicated radio coverage included ABC Sydney, ABC Central Coast, ABC National, and 6PR in Perth, in addition to widespread national news coverage by more than 200 radio stations. Online presence was also received via Channel 7, Science Media Exchange and the Australian Senior.
- Dr Mike Armour appeared on SBS Insight program in November discussing endometriosis and the cost to both the sufferer and the wider economy. Watch the segment online.
- Professor Jerome Sarris and Dr Joseph Firth opinion piece for The Conversation, Five lifestyle changes to enhance your mood and mental health(opens in a new window) received wide engagement on social as well as syndication across other media outlets, both nationally and internationally. The piece was picked up by 13 media outlets including Newsweek in the USA and in Australia ABC News, Business Insider, Yahoo, MSN and more.
- Dementia trial expands as study signals effectiveness of novel treatment for vascular dementia encouraged Australians aged 40 and over with dementia to participate in one of the nation’s largest clinical trials investigating a novel Chinese herbal extract Sailuotong (SLT) being conducted by Professor Dennis Chang. The Phase III clinical trial added three new hospital sites across NSW, VIC and QLD. The site expansion coincided with positive results from an independent clinical trial of SLT published in the recent journal Alzheimer's & Dementia.(opens in a new window) Media outlets included: 9New (syndicated nationally), Phoenix TV, Prime7NEWS, NBN News, ABC Radio (syndicated nationally), 2GB, 2UE, 2SM, 5RM, 5CS Classic Hits, 5AU Classic Hits, 5CC, 4CA, 4CC, 4BC Forever Classic 2GN, 7AD, 7BD, Mix 104.9, River 1467, Hot 100 FM, Power FM Bega Bay, Radio 2ST Highlands, Eagle FM, Power FM Nowra, Macquarie Sports Radio, Northern Star, The Daily Examiner, Gladstone Observer, Sunshine Coast Daily, Fraser Coast Chronicle, News Mail, The Chronicle, The Morning Bulletin, HelloCare, The Coffs Coast Advocate, The Queensland Times, The Daily Mercury, The Gympie Times, Pharmacy Choice, 9News.com.au, Echo.net.au, Get STEM, Physics.org (US), Starts at 60, Il Correiere della Sicurezza (Italy), and Bloomberg.
- Online resource launches to help educate communities about periods and endometriosis discussed new statistics from Dr Mike Armour’s menstrual health survey study, and the launch of a new NICM online resource aimed at reducing the incidence of undiagnosed menstrual disorders and improving the way young women learn about and deal with menstruation. The news quickly became a trending topic causing a lot of awareness and debate about period pain and also endometriosis with the topic being discussed nationally for several days, including comment by the Health Minister Greg Hunt on ABC TV. Examples of media outlets included: ABC Radio Triple J – The Hack (syndicated nationally and online), ABC News (various news bulletins and the evening new), Studio 10 on Channel 10 (syndicated nationally), ABC 702 (syndicated nationally), Zinc 96.7, Chili 99.7 FM, Star 101.9 FM, The Listener (NZ), The Courier Mail in print (syndicated online to The Advertiser, The Mercury, Herald Sun, and The Daily Telegraph), Shepparton News, Dynamic Business, F3 News US, and Health Central (NZ).
- Dr Genevieve Steiner was awarded NSW Young Tall Poppy Science Award 2018 Winner. Her interview on ABC Radio 702, and was also picked up in Campus Morning and LabOnline. Dr Steiner also featured in September on ABC Radio National and ABC online for a piece about food and ageing discussing dementia and diet. The piece was also cross promoted on ABC Radio News. As a result of this segment, Dr Steiner featured further on ABC Radio National’s Life Matters, where she spoke about ageing and brain health.
- Dr Joseph Frith discussed earlier in August mental health and the effects of exercise with Christine Anu on ABC Radio’s National Evenings across Australia.
- Nutraceuticals World published an article authored by NICM Adjunct Dr Dilip Ghosh. The article discusses the science of Cannabis and Cannabinoids.