12 December 2022
NICM Health Research Institute throughout October to December have featured in over 400 articles, commenting on topics from postbiotics, medicinal cannabis, floatation therapy, Alzheimer’s disease, Ayurveda, and integrative oncology.
Key highlights include:
- In December, Dr Mike Armour commented in MedPage Today (US) for a story on endometriosis funding and why research funding is so low.
- The appointment announcement of Associate Professor Shrikrishna Rajagopola as the new Academic Chair in Ayurveda at NICM HRI received wide international coverage in November from The Indian Express, Hindustan Times, News18, Amar Ujala, The Times of India, Livermint, Dailyhunt, Times Now, ZEE5, Asian News International, Devdiscourse, India Education Diary, MSN India, Big News Network, and Business News This Week, and Express Pharma.
- Further in November, NICM HRI and Professor Jerome Sarris were recognised in the Australia’s Research Report 2023, as Australia’s best for institute in Alternative and Traditional Medicine, and Professor Sarris named top researcher in the field and discipline of natural medicine and medicinal plants.
- Dr Mike Amour’s Conversation article on endometriosis and surgery was covered by Yahoo! News Australia, Sydney Sun, Big News Network, and Evening Report (NZ). Additionally, Adjunct Dr Kate Levett’s Conversation article on pregnancy and the gut was featured by Yahoo! News Australia, Singapore Star, Australian Herald, Evening Report NZ, and The National Tribute.
- Associate Professor Genevieve Steiner-Lim commented on Alzheimer’s and while genetic testing is part of identifying dementia risk, it’s only one part of the process. She emphasises that for the gene that Chris Hemsworth has, developing Alzheimer’s is not inevitable. The story was covered in November by Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Brisbane Times, WA Today, MSN Australia, Head Topics, Vietnam Explorer News Channel and Stuff NZ. Associate Professor Steiner-Lim also featured as a profile piece in November's Sphere Magazine.
- NICM HR Adjunct and Chair of the hemp CRC, Professor Kerryn Phelps, spoke in November with ABC Online and ABC Radio discussing the consortium and what the group and fundraising efforts hoped to create as value and benefits for industry, research, and the community at large.
- Dr Suzanne Grant and Adjunct Associate Professor Judith Lacey helped launch the national joint inaugural white paper on integrative oncology and standard cancer care. The story was featured in November across Channel 10 Studio and syndicated across 10 News First nationally.
- The launch of Westmead iQ in November received coverage in the Herald Sun, Cairns Post, The Advertiser, The Courier-Mail, The Daily Telegraph, and The Mercury.
- In October, Dr Deep Jyoti Bhuyan’s Conversation article on postbiotics received interest nationally speaking with ABC National Weekends, and his piece appearing on ABC online, BBC Brazil, The New Daily, MindFood, Medical Xpress, The Indian Express, MSN India, and YahooNews AU.
- In late October, Dr Mike Armour appeared on mainstream consumer lifestyle program The Project NZ, speaking as an expert in the field and on his latest research for a wider endometriosis segment.
- Also in October, Adjunct Associate Professor Vicki Kotsirilos was featured in story about flotation therapy and its benefits for sleep and general wellbeing. The article was published in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Brisbane Times and WAToday. Associate Professor Kotsirilos was also interviewed in November by ABC radio for a segment discussing medicinal cannabis.