30 June 2023
NICM Health Research Institute throughout the first half of the year have featured in leading media commenting on various topics including new drug developments for Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, menopause, period pain, endometriosis, medicinal cannabis, efficacy of a new energy drinks using herbal ingredients, and gut health.
Key highlights include:
- In June, Associate Professor Mike Armour featured in a cover story on endometriosis and the cost which published across Saturday Telegraph, Herald Sun, Courier-Mail, Sunday Territorian, Gold Coast Bulletin, Geelong Advertiser, The Mercury, The Advertiser, Cairns Post, and NT News. Also in June, Associate Armour’s Conversation article was featured by Yahoo!News and Cambodian Times.
- Dr Mitch Low spoke with 7NEWS in May about a new energy drink hitting the market and the efficacy of the herbal ingredients.
- Associate Professor Genevieve Steiner-Lim conducted a 13-minute live to air interview in May with 702 ABC Sydney discussing the latest drug developments in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. The interview was syndicated across ABC Radio.
- Also, in May Associate Professor Mike Armour’s joint EndoCanned project with Deakin University received online traction across media outlets such as Geelong Advocate, Herald Sun, The Advertiser, The Mercury, NT News, Townsville Bulletin, and Gold Coast Bulletin.
- In April, 7NEWS, Mamamia, Cannabiz and over 200 radio news bulletins covered the announcement of NICM HRI’s 660k gift received from The Wilson Foundation for a study investigating medicinal cannabis for endometriosis.
- Associate Professor Armour’s previous research paper on period pain was referenced in a global McKinsey and Company April report ‘Closing the data gaps in women’s health”.
- Dr Deep Jyoti Bhuyan was interviewed for a print article about postbiotics, published 2 April in Body and Soul, syndicated across Sunday Mail Adelaide, The Sunday Herald Sun, The Sunday Mail, The Sunday Tasmanian, The Sunday Telegraph. Deep also conducted an interview in March with Canberra Times for a piece about food allergies and gut health, which was syndicated across 60 other regional papers including Newcastle Herald, The Examiner, The St George and Sutherland, and Illawarra Mercury.
- In March Associate Professor Armour interviewed and contribute to an endometriosis article on 7NEWS digital for endometriosis month.
- In February NICM HRI Adjunct Associate Professor Vicki Kotsirilos was featured broadly across ABC Radio, SMH, The Age, MSN Australia, WA Today, and Brisbane Times discussing pollution from traffic and its hidden road toll and deaths. Earlier that months Vicki also was featured in a News Corp. story about dogs benefiting from medicinal cannabis which ran across NT News, Herald Sun, Cairns Post, The Advertiser, Townsville Bulletin, The Courier-Mail, The Toowoomba Chronicle, The Mercury, The Weekly Times, Geelong Advertiser, The Daily Telegraph, and Gold Coast Bulletin.
- In February, Associate Professor Armour spoke with ABC for an online story and radio piece on endometriosis talking about symptoms and diagnosis, resulting in close to 60 pieces of coverage.