Do you suffer from facial cold sores?
Can a natural topical cold sore treatment help treat facial cold sores?
Researchers at NICM Health Research Institute and the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand are looking for men and women aged 18 to 65 to join a clinical trial to find out if a natural topical cold sore treatment helps reduce the duration and symptoms of facial cold sores. If you live in Sydney and have had at least three cold sores in your life, you may be eligible to join.
Who can join?
- Men and women aged 18 to 65 who have had at least three cold sores in their life.
- To confirm your eligibility, your pharmacist will need to ask you some questions.
After assessment and consent, you will be required to:
- Attend twice a participating pharmacy – once when your cold sore begins, and again when it has healed.
- Complete an online diary once a day for up to 14 days and a satisfaction survey once your cold sore has completely healed.
- If the cold sore turns in to an ulcer, take a swab sample of the cold sore and post the swab sample back to our laboratory in a prepaid envelope.
What are the benefits of participating?
- You may experience a reduction in the duration of your cold sore and your pain and other symptoms (such as burning or tingling).
- Once you have completed your second pharmacy visit, you will be reimbursed for your travel expenses by way of a $60 gift voucher.
For more details about the study please read the information sheet below before deciding on whether to participate or not in this study.
Interested in participating in this study?
For further information or questions on participating pharmacies in your area, please contact:
Clinical Trial Coordinator
Human Research Ethics Committee Approval: This clinical trial has been approved by Western Sydney University Human Research Ethics Committee (Approval Number: H12776). This study is supported by NICM Health Research Institute, Western Sydney University and Sci-Chem International Pty Ltd. NICM Chief Investigator: Dr Mike Armour