LINKEDIN (opens in a new window) | TWITTER (opens in a new window)
PhD, BHSc BSc (Hons)
Senior Research Fellow, Women's Health, NICM Health Research Institute
Higher Degree Research Director, NICM Health Research Institute
Dr Armour joined NICM Health Research Institute in 2016 as a postdoctoral research fellow working in the area of women's health. His background is a mixture of western and eastern medicine, having completed an honours degree in Biomedicine before training as a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner.
In 2016, under the supervision of Professor Caroline Smith, Professor Hannah Dahlen, Dr Xiaoshu Zhu and Professor Cindy Faruqhar, Dr Armour completed his PhD at NICM HRI, examining the effect of acupuncture on the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea.
He started his research career in 2001, as a summer scholar working on cardiovascular biophysics at the Faculty of Medicine in Auckland, New Zealand. While studying acupuncture Dr Armour then worked as a research assistant serving the largest district health board population in the New Zealand at the Waitemata District Health Board, being involved in a range of health related research, with a specific focus on complementary and integrative medicine. He tutored at the Faculty of Medicine for several years, and more recently at the NZ School of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine from 2010-2016, specialising in research methodology. Dr Armour also ran a busy clinical practice at The Body Workshop, specialising in women's health.
His research areas include gynaecology, pregnancy and fertility, and traditional Chinese medicine. He is experienced in implementing research projects across international borders and has a specific interest in dysmenorrhea and chronic pelvic pain.
- Research methodology
- Menstrual and reproductive health
- Medicinal cannabis
- Traditional Chinese medicine
Projects and grants
Dr Armour's research has been supported by numerous external funding agencies including industry and professional associations.
See a list of past and current projects.(opens in a new window)
Awards and recognitions
- 2021 Excellence in HDR supervision and training, NICM Health Research Institute
- 2021 Excellence in Research Partnership, NICM Health Research Institute
- 2021 Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President Research, Enterprise and International Excellence Awards - Excellence in Research in Interdisciplinary Group Award, Western Sydney University
- 2020 Excellence in HDR supervision and training, NICM Health Research Institute
- 2020 Vice-Chancellor’s Excellence as an Early Career Researcher Award – Highly Commended, Western Sydney University
- 2018 Research Impact Award Winner, Western Sydney University
- 2018 Best Paper by an Early Career Researcher, NICM Health Research Institute
- 2015 Best oral presentation, ICCMR
- 2015 Best poster, International Scientific Acupuncture and Meridian Symposium
- 2015 JACKA writing scholarship
- World Endometriosis Society Ambassador
- Chair, Research Committee, Endometriosis Australia
- Chair, Clinical Advisory Committee, Endometriosis Australia
- Chair and co-founder, Australasian Interdisciplinary Researchers in Endometriosis
- Academic lead, Menstrual Cycle Research Network
- Adjunct Fellow, Medical Research Institute of New Zealand
- Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, Translational Health Research Institute, Western Sydney University
- 2016 Doctor of Philosophy (Women's Health), Western Sydney University, Australia
- 2009 Bachelor of Health Science (Acupuncture), New Zealand School of Acupuncture, New Zealand
- 2003 Bachelor of Science (Biomedicine Honours), University of Auckland, New Zealand
For a full listing of publications please see: